Monday, June 19, 2006

Heart healthy


I'm just beginning to learn about Trans-fat, from what I have read it's pretty nasty.

Below are some great, (but obvious) tips to be have a heathly heart and body:

_Limiting saturated fats to no more than 7 percent of daily calories, down from the 10 percent formerly recommended and the 11 percent most Americans consume. Saturated fats are in meat and dairy products, and in coconut and palm oil.
_Getting at least half an hour of exercise a day.
_Eating fruits and vegetables (not fruit juices) that are deep in color, such as spinach, carrots, peaches and berries.
_Choosing whole-grain, high-fiber foods.
_Eating fish, especially oily fish like salmon and trout, at least twice a week. (Children and pregnant women should follow federal guidelines for avoiding mercury in fish.)
_Choosing lean meats and trying vegetable alternatives.
_Consuming fat-free and 1 percent fat milk and other dairy products.
_Minimizing calories from beverages and avoiding ones with added sugars.
_Adding little or no salt to foods.
_Drinking alcohol in moderation.



Trans fat (also called trans fatty acids) is formed when liquid vegetable oils go through a chemical process called hydrogenation, in which hydrogen is added to make the oils more solid. Hydrogenated vegetable fats are used by food processors because they allow longer shelf-life and give food desirable taste, shape, and texture.
The majority of trans fat can be found in shortenings, stick (or hard) margarine, cookies, crackers, snack foods, fried foods (including fried fast food), doughnuts, pastries, baked goods, and other processed foods made with or fried in partially hydrogenated oils. Some trans fat is found naturally in small amounts in various meat and dairy products. The FDA estimates that the average daily intake of trans fat in the U.S. population is about 5.8 grams or 2.6 percent of calories per day for individuals 20 years of age and older.

2 comments:

Louie said...

Hey, that sounds like all the stuff I learned when I had high cholesterol. what's really odd is I had it checked about a year ago and it was great except I went right back to my old eating habits..man, I starved and lost about 20 pounds on that diet too. If I want to lose weight I just go back on that diet and can lose 20 pounds in a month, it's really quite healthy but I certainly didn't feel healthy. No junk food for me and I tend to find myself getting sick...........LOL

Jonathan said...

Body For Life works great. In short, it's like this:

1. Eat 5 - 6 small meals a day, every three hours: One lean protein, one good carb, and an optional salad (without being drowned in dressing and croutons).

1a. Cut out most fat (except fish oil and some olive oil) and sugars. Drinks lots of water.

2. Three days a week of weight-training (30 - 45 minutes), and three days of cardio (20 minutes).

3. On the seventh day, do not exercise and eat whatever the heck you want, all day.

Check out bodyforlife.com (nothing to buy, the eating and exercise plans are listed, and lots of good recipes submitted by readers). I dropped 35 lbs. from it!

I know, I sound like an infomercial, but dammit, it works!