Thursday, September 28, 2006

My new best friend...



Some consider me paranoid - I consider myself pro-active rather than re-active.

I'm talking about keeping my kid as safe as possible. When I was a kid I walked to school every day - most times with my younger sister, sometimes alone. Almost every weekend a friend and I would walk around downtown Des Moines all day. I grew up in a house that is close to a large wooded area that has a creek running through it. All of us kids in the neighborhood spend hours everyday in those woods - especially in the Summer. This all took place in 1980's-ish.

Fast fwd 26 years later.... Would I let my kid do any one of those things? HELL NO. Not in a million years. My kid DOES NOT EVER walk down to the mailbox unless I am watching her, she does not run out to my car to get something unless I am watching her. She does not walk around the block to walk the dog unless I am with her.

I will be taking shooting lessons SOON and once I have all of my licenses and understand all of the laws regarding guns I will be buying one. I don't expect the gun to solve every problem or issue but what it will do is give me options. I have the option of fighting back, saving myself and/or my kid rather than being a victim.

Now that we are moving I do what I always do: I look at the Washington State Sex Offender Information Center. I was going to show the map of the Sex Offenders that live by me but duh... it shows my address. Instead I listed the crimes of the closest offenders, prepare to feel sick:

1. Assault W/sexual Motivation Degree: 2 Level II

2. Rape Of A Child Degree: 1 Level III

3. Rape Of A Child Degree: 3 Level II THIS OFFENDER FAILED TO VERIFY ADDRESS. THIS IS THEIR LAST KNOWN ADDRESS.

4. Rape Of A Child Degree: 1 Level III THIS OFFENDER FAILED TO VERIFY ADDRESS. THIS IS THEIR LAST KNOWN ADDRESS.

5. Rape Degree: 1 Level III

LOOK UP YOUR OWN ADDRESS TO SEE WHO (OR WHAT) IS LIVING IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.

8 comments:

Jenn of the Jungle said...

Yeah, I freaked out a bit in our last place. There were two violent rapists withing half a mile. I got worried about being out walking the dog alone early in the morning or at night.

We've moved to a better nieghborhood and there is no one too close that comes up.

Violence Worker said...

I have. I live in Pierce County and we have more of'em than anyone in the state!

VW

sis said...

I wish you wouldn't get a gun. Get mace and run with your cell phone.

Violence Worker said...

Mace usually just pisses'em off.

Kelly said...

true

Night Rider said...

Hi Kelly, Nice blog site you have, I'm from over on Jenn's blog. Say Kelly a gun would be a good thing for you to have I have tried to convince Jenn that she should have one.
A good sized gun for a lady to handle is a Glok 9 Milimeter.

VW Mace may piss them off but a good ole stun gun does allow a chance for women to get away it tends to paralize the attacker long enough for the person to get away.

Kelly said...

Thanks Night Rider. I have considered a stun gun, and will look into it. Quite honestly though I prefer to kill rather than stun anyone that breaks into my house to do us harm but stun gun would get rid of the accidental shooting problem... something to think about. I'm going shooting next weekend - will see how it goes.

Fight The Good Fight! said...

"I prefer to kill rather than stun"
I like that attitude!
FTGF!