Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sometimes you have to save yourself...

I have told my kid many times not to freeze in an emergency - to respond, not to hold her breath, to evaluate the situation around her, and that sometimes you may just have to save yourself.

It's a hard thing to teach. Company Response Options is trying to teach schools - student and teacher - to avoid the deer in the headlights reaction and instead to rush the gunman. Brings to my mind Flight 93. They reacted, they rushed the terrorists, they did not do what they were told thus they saved many lives and in a way they saved themselves. They were killed but they fought for their lives with everything they had available. Hero's.

Would I want my kid to do the same? Yes.

To fight for her own life? Hell yes.

Her life is extremely valuable - priceless and definitely worth fighting for.

4 comments:

Neo-Con Tastic said...

Yes, just imagine all of the scenarios that could have potentially been avoided if children learned the proper action during an emergency.

Mike@CopTheTruth said...

I've seen a little bit from this company and disagree with what they are teaching. We can't expect our kids to make life and death situations on the spur of the moment, they simply aren't equipped yet to do so. Teaching kids to throw papaer and erasers at someone with a gun is just ridiculous...and could make a bad situation even worse. Instead, get your kids to a good martial arts teacher...something like Jiu Jitsu or Krav Maga...where they learn to defend themselves against grabs, chokes, etc while gaining the ability and the confidence to react emotionally, mentally and physically to this type of threat.

Kelly said...

Getting a kid or an adult to react is the key to this I think. Obviously I don't want one kid to throw a box of tissues at a freak with a gun but if the whole class/school can be taught to react to a threat rather than hide under a desk I think they are better off.

I don't know if this can be taught but I'm at least going to tell my kid not to sit there and wait to be shot by some freak that can't get it up or had been teased at school.

Louie said...

Hey there Kelly!!!! It's been a long time.

Anyway, I'm with you on this 100%. I saw on the news parents who were going all wussy because they didn't think it was 'appropriate'. That the kids should basically sit back and take it...um, both Pat and I are of the same damn mentality, take the bastard down any way you can think to.

I think that teaching the kids how to defend and protect is a hell of a lot better than being 'sitting ducks'!