Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Least they are winners off the field...

It would be pretty cool to have unlimited funds to help out those in need. I've always thought about how incredible it would be to win the lottery and build a kick ass women's shelter.
I won't go so far as to say that people with money have a duty to share the wealth with the needy but I think it's pretty cool when they do. I volunteer my time at the SeaTac USO and give a small amount of cash per month to the Paralyzed Veterans but that's about it as I usually don't have spare cash lying around being a single parent that doesn't make much.
Take the Seattle Mariners. Yes, they sucked this year, and have finished in last place the past three years but they do Seattle proud with their good works off of the field.
One of my favs is Raul Ibanez. He really seems like a good guy and I'm glad that he is back with the M's.
"I just think you have a responsibility to the community, and we're given this platform to bring awareness to certain things," Ibanez said. "You have the opportunity to do some good things off the field ... which is as important, if not more important, than it is on the field.
"You're going to be a person longer than you're going to be a player."
Since 2000 the Mariners have given 7.7 million to Mariners Care -- the team's non-profit foundation and its corporate partners. In December, broadcaster Rick Rizzs and former outfielder Dave Henderson will preside over the "Toys for Kids" drive that purchases and distributes toys to the Broadview Women's Shelter, First Avenue Service Center and Harborview Children's Hospital among others.
Nice work Mariners. Now please, get some pitching and a big bat for 2007.

No comments: