Monday, December 18, 2006

The dark ages...

We haven't had power since midnight Thursday. That means no power all day and night Friday. All day and night Saturday. All day and night Sunday. No Power. No heat. No nothing. No lights to find anything or to even get dressed by. I've read three books, have spent about five hours in my car watching a movie via car battery, have spent close to $100.00 on food since everything in the fridge had to be thrown away and I don't have a way to cook anything - plus it's not easy to cook and eat in the dark. Even if I could afford a hotel, they are all booked. The Malls are packed with people that don't have power, gas stations have long lines. I went to five different stores on Sat. trying to find D batteries with no luck. I can't sleep for shit since it's so cold.

Governor Gregoire has declared a state of emergency but I have no idea what that means to individual people. I'm guessing that she has power and stupid Mayor of Seattle Greg Nichols has power. All the shopping malls and places where you have to spend money have power.

I'm sick of this but this is a wake-up call for me. Have extra gas, batteries, and non-perishable food. Have a way to charge your cell phone, and a battery operated radio.

7 comments:

Violence Worker said...

What? You aren't blaming FEMA or Bush for not bringing you all that stuff? You are taking responsibility for yourself? What is wrong with you?!?!?!

Seriously, I hope you get power back soon. I'm lucky, we never lost power.

VW

Kelly said...

I am pretty pissed off about it - have found myself bitching at houses that have power and flaunting it by having Christmas lights up!

Yes, you are lucky. It really sucks. We've been cold for three days and nights now.

Jenn of the Jungle said...

See, that's the benifit of living in earthquake country. I have a minimum of a weeks worth of food, propane, batteries of every size, sleeping bags, everything you need to survive a week confortably with no back up. All the time.

It's a good idea for everyuone to have some stores, even if you just have a cooler/a box and fill it with canned goods and propane, so you can cook. Also, some good propane lights, they'll light you up like the north star.

I've been worried about everyone I know up there, all of my clients, my blogging friends, it's good to hear from you and VW.

Kelly said...

Sure.... rub it in. It's a good lesson to learn... guess some lessons you only learn the hard way.

Mike@CopTheTruth said...

I know how you feel, I got some sunburn on my nose from a whale watching trip in the 75 degree sun. Damn winter is pissing me off!

Kelly said...

Evil.

Whale watching??? Thought only old people did that... oh wait... you are old.

sis said...

soooo...what supplies have you bought for you new place???? Don't forget about that stuff !!