1. Have canned food and a non-electric can opener.
2. Have an amount of cash.
3. Have a way to get heat to stay warm.
4. Know your neighbors, look up sex offenders in your area.
5. Know how to shoot a gun.
6. Be prepared to fight if you have to, or to flee.
7. Know how to perform CPR and what to do if someone is choking.
8. If a emergency situations occurs, be ready to react - understand your fight and flight response.
9. When out in public, know where your exits are.
10.Be aware of people loitering around your house, your car, your kids school. Speak up if necessary.