Monday, September 17, 2007

Earning it


Thinking that she would have some fun I agreed to let the kid play on her school's rec soccer team along with her hard earned Select team. She had her first game with the school team on Saturday and good lord, what a mistake. The coach showed up 10 mins. before the game started - I had to warm the girls up. Your welcome by the way to their coach who didn't bother to say one word to me about it. No one on her team knows what to do or how to play, they haven't been coached at all. It was completely frustrating for her. She spend the game running around trying to get something going but it was a losing battle. I decided right there and then that this would be her last game playing rec soccer. The coaches philosophy is for the girls to have fun. Apparently that means they don't have to actually learn anything about how to play the game of soccer. No thanks. Having fun is for recess. I'm not driving all over creation for practice and games just for the kid to have fun. My daughter couldn't agree more with me. Yes, she could have been the big fish on her rec team but it just wasn't worth it to her - she wants to earn it and wants it to actually mean something.

6 comments:

RexZeitgeist said...

Wow, what a bummer to have it end that way......I played sports every year growing up and it was usualy a hassle getting to and fro......

But, bad coaches can wreck a season for the entire team....

Kelly said...

That team is doomed and they don't even know it.

Jenn of the Jungle said...

WE never cared about the winning, but at leats out coaches taught us how to play. We didn't take it that seriously and had fun, but learned as well.

I am bothered by the way kids sports are played these days with parents and coaches that treat them like collegiate players. It is about having fun. I get your point though. They should at least know the drills.

I if you are going to do it, do it right.

Kelly said...

It is and it isn't about having fun. When your kid has talent and is a competative player then you have to go for it. It was totally frustratiing for her to play with kids that some some had never played before. It's now fun for her to do well and to succeed. They lost a lot of games at the beginning of the season - now they are winning - it's better. With all the time and money spent in this league for them to just have fun. That's for 5 yr olds.

RexZeitgeist said...

Ahahahahaah.......Two differing viewpoints...I lay somewhere nt he middle, it IS about winning, but it also about having fun.....Some kids that are terrible now, may be excellent in a few years....

My dad was 'coach dad', I played every sport and was one of the top players every year....when I got a bad coach it was awful, but my dad never let me forget it was 'just' a sport.....

It's a balnce between winning and fun.....On one hand teaching children the game is only about winning misses the point and telling them winning doesn't matter is way of the mark....

The bad coach never last more then a year, the losing knocks them out of the game.....

Kelly said...

Instead of winning I should have said something more along the lines of - being productive, learning and growing. It is a waste of her and my time for her to play just for fun. And totally counter productive.