Monday, September 10, 2012

Melissa Harrington Hughes 9/11/01

I have the honor of paying tribute to Melissa Harrington Hughes.  She was 31 years old on 9/11/01.  She was attending a breakfast on 9/11/01 in the WTC.  Melissa was the director of business development for the Slam Dunk Networks in Redwood City, Calif. 
From her father, "She loved the opera, loved to travel, loved a bottle of good wine. And professional football. Her favorite team was the Green Bay Packers.  She was newly married, her husband was in California. 
Melissa leaves her husband, Sean S. Hughes; her father and mother, Robert J. and Beverly A. (Rzeszutek) Harrington of West Springfield, MA; her brother, Michael J. Harrington of Somerville, MA; her maternal grandmother, Bertha (Gwozdz) Rzeszutek of Chicopee, MA. She was predeceased by her paternal grandparents, James and Louise (Santolini) Harrington; and her maternal grandfather, Michael Rzeszutek.
The Junior League of San Francisco and her husband Sean Hughes created the Melissa Harrington Hughes 9/11 Memorial Fund and established the Melissa Harrington Hughes Leadership Award, (which recognizes a JLSF active member who is a new and upcoming leader within the organization).
Melissa was able to speak to her father on that day and left a message for her husband, telling him how much she loved him.  The family allowed the messages to be heard by the public and they are heartbreaking.  I'm so very sorry for them.  I can only hope that as years have gone by they have found some happiness and peace.
Here are some of the messages left to her, from legacy.com:
I worked with Sean, and met Melissa at a Corp function in SF a few weeks before 9-11. She impacted me- I remember a very bright, funny vivacious beautiful person! Her VM message haunts me to this day.
Much love and positive energy for you and your family -- 10 years after .....Pete Stanger
Bob, Beverly & Michael,
Although we are a long distance from home in retirement, Cyndi and I wanted you to know that as always we think of you on this day. Our thoughts and prayers are with you today as we all remember Melissa.
Mitch & Cyndi Ogulewicz
Melissa, I just found out today what your name was. I remember you, thru your husband Sean. I will never forget that message you left him. God Bless. J. Ohio
Sean, What a pleasure to have had the opportunity to be friends of Melissa while in SF. As the anniversary of her death sadly approaches, I will choose to celebrate her life. My heart is happy and aches a little at the same time when I think back to your first days of courtship. Your goofy smiles when in each other's presence used to floor me! The connection was SO obvious-and genuine. I'm so thrilled that you two were married, things were right with the world and all that was meant to be happened for you both when she was here. All of us should be so blessed to share such a perfect love in life and death. Good luck to you, Sean. And know that someone is better off for knowing her and you two together. I will continue to draw inspiration from her ambition, sense of humor and the fact that soul mates do exist.-Patricia Dolphin
God Bless our Pi Phi sister..Jennifer
Sending our prayers and love to Sean during this time of great sorrow...and also to Melissa's parents and siblings. To Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Artella Shannon and Heather please accept my sincerest condolences and give Sean a hug for me and should you need anything please don't hesitate to call. I love you all and miss you guys!!
Ken, Chris, Chelsea & Channing Hogue

If you wish to contribute to the memorial fund set up in her name, please follow this link:
https://secure.closerware.com/sf/npo.jsp?pg=support10tab=Melissa%20Harrington%20Hughes%20Story











No comments: