Saturday, September 10, 2011

Neilie Anne Heffernan Casey 9/11/01

I have the honor of paying tribute to Neilie Anne Heffernan Casey.  Neilie was
32 years old on 9/11/01.  She was a Planning Manager for TJX.  She was married and had a 6 month old baby girl.  Neilie and her husband met as high school Freshman.  Had a family and many friends that loved her.  She was a giving and lovely person that had a smile, the one that found the good in people in everything she did, will warm them and sustain them. That smile, they said, radiated hope.  As you can see from the picture, her smile was stunning.  Neilie was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11. 

At Neilie’s memorial mass, which was held just after 9/11, Mr. Casey gave each person in the church a self-addressed envelope to his and Neilie's daughter Riley and invited them to share memories or anecdotes they had of Neilie.  “We probably have about 300 of those, and we haven’t opened them yet,” Casey said. “We will when the time is right. I don’t know when that is, but we’ll know.”

Her husband wrote this about his extraordinary wife... what an incredible human being.  I'm so sorry she is gone....
http://www.holycross.edu/departments/publicaffairs/hcm/winter02/features/remembering_casey.html

In addition, here are some of the messages and memories left for Neilie over the past 10 years, from legacy.com...
Neilie, ten years is a blink of the eye in God's time. I can still see your bright smile and hear your cheerful voice, tears still come but now because of the thankfulness of having known you for a short time. You will never be forgotten and my heart goes out to your family. Andrea Martin, North Easton, Massachusetts
During a secondment from the UK, at Chadwicks in Boston many years ago, Neilie was my Mentor. I will never forget her warmth and enthusiasm.
I am sending love to her family and friends. God Bless you all. Tiffany Downer, London

As the 10 year anniversary of this tragedy approaches, you are all in my thoughts and prayers!! The video I've seen of the memorial are beautiful. I hope to one day be able to take my children there and let them find their cousin's name. I love you Aunt Anne and wish you peace and closure with this anniversary. Andrea Luces, Palm Bay, Florida

Hey Neilie,  Just talked to your Mom. We laugh and talk about you as if you were in the room. Your were a true joy to be around, with vivacious energy, and a smile as bright as the sun. Gone, but NOT forgotten!! Big Hug Peggy Hill, Rye Brook, New York

Thinking Neilie today, as I do every anniversary and finding hard to believe 8 years has passed. I think of Neilie often and I'm sure I will always think of her, not just on this sad date but other times throughout the year. I knew Neilie from Chadwick's. Happy and joyous are what come to mind when I think of her. Wishing her family peace and comfort today. We all continue to hold Neilie and her family in our thoughts and prayers.

My many tears today surprised me. Remembering you and that terrible day hurts. Time may heal but it does not make one forget. You touched so many hearts as has your beautiful daughter and we do remember. A former Chadwick's employee. Andrea Martin, North Easton, Massachusetts
It is the 6th anniversary of 9/11and I still cry for Neilie and her family. What a loss!!!! I get by thinking that perhaps I was lucky to have met someone not of this world, a true angel in disguise because she brought smiles and joy to everyone she encountered. Lucky I was to have met Neilie.
She was such an inspirational, uplifting, positive person and no matter how bad a day may have seemed to the average individual,Neilie would put it in perspective. My mantra is to live life as Neilie did... always tell those who are close to you that you love them. Say "hello handsome" to your husband now and then. Don't refuse a doughnut because you fear the pounds because you know what it is good and it makes you happy. When life gets you down just say oh well tomorrow will be better.
I miss you Neilie, you were so special!!! I hope you can make this world better by being up there and offering up your super sound advise to those who will listen. Xo Xo Lori Weeks, South Dartmouth, Massachusetts

No comments: