Friday, September 09, 2011

Jeffery Coombs 9/11/01

I have the honor of paying tribute to Jeff Coombs.  Jeff was 42 years old on 9/11/01.  He was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11.  Wow.  Incredible family.  He loved the outdoors and loved spending time outdoors with friends and family.  He worked for Compaq and was able to spend a lot of time working from home.  His family has worked tirelessly since that awful day to help the lives of others through a foundation in his name. http://www.jeffcoombsfund.org/
I'm so sorry you lost your husband, father, brother, son and friend.  He sounds like one of the best of us.  Here are some memories and messages left to him from loved ones, from legacy.com......

well Jeff, Doug and I are getting ready to hit another mountain. We started doing these 67 peaks with you years ago and every mountain we climb brings us close to you. We still hear you behind us unwrapping the endless supply of candy bars and feel your presence standing beside every campfire. With only 7 mountains left it is bittersweet as the goal of finishing them all together was a strong bond between 3 brothers. You are so missed. Chuck

I participated in two of Jeff's Compaq projects early in the summer of 2001. Jeff impressed me with his skills and with his solid, reliable nature. He was not a serious, dry man; he carried a sense of joy and pleasure in his life ... particularly with his family. He enjoyed his family and his work ... and wanted others to do the same.  I am fortunate to have known Jeff ... however briefly ... and miss him still.Vaya con Dios ... Alan Thomas, Port Angeles, Washington
As I read these very kind messages, I wish I could reach out to everyone to say thanks. It is truly comforting to read what people have to say about Jeff and about that horrible day. I so appreciate everyones' prayers and compassionate messages. I wish I could say thank you to each of you individually, but I'm grateful to be able to do it through this site. Jeff was indeed a wonderful family man who loved his children so much. He was great at making people laugh, and kept our house a happy place. I, his kids, his family and my family miss him terribly. Thank you for helping his memory live on. Christie Coombs, Abington, Massachusetts
I was a Compaq employee who was working at the conference that Jeffrey was flying out to speak at. I have thought and prayed for him so many times, but never had the pleasure of meeting him. I want his family to know that the Compaq family will never forget him. Donna Fraley, Houston, Texas
Thinking of you and your family during this sad time. I have such fond memories of Jeff and and his wonderful sense of humor. Jean (Casey) Malinski, Carlsbad, California
Dear Coombs Family, I am a sixth grader and I go to a catholic school, I was given Mr.Coombs and to pray for. He sounds like a really kind person. I am sorry he was on one of the planes. I just wanted to let you know that my school and family is always praying for you. Caroline, Medford, New Jersey
My brothers and I (Peter and Mark Manzoni) went to high school with Jeff. We have memories of him coming over our house for dinner, joking around, and hanging out. I pray that his family finds peace and love in God. We will never forget! Diana Brady, Bellingham, Massachusetts
Jeff was to be one of a group of 10 people - some old friends and soon-to-be new friends - going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon on September 29 for a week of backpacking, the same week he was to celebrate his wedding anniversary. I'm told that the Grand Canyon was one of his favorite places and he never missed an opportunity to go hiking or rafting there with his friends here in Arizona. The trip will go on, but Jeff's absence will echo like a raven's cry off of canyon walls. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family in Massachusetts. Ted Wiseman, Phoenix, Arizona
http://www.patriotledger.com/features/x350171618/Jeffrey-Coombs-Memorial-Foundation-still-a-success-in-Abington-thanks-to-work-of-his-wife-Christie

1 comment:

Cathy said...

thank you for remembering Jeff.