Thursday, August 25, 2011

Douglas Gowell 9/11/01

I have the honor of paying tribute to Douglas Gowell.  He was 52 years old on 9/11/11.  Douglas was a passenger on United Airlines Flight 175. Douglas was from Methuen, MA, and was a much loved husband and father.  He worked at Avid Technologies in Tewksbury, MA as Director of New Market Development.  He loved music and all things tech. 
On legacy.com I found many loving messages left to him and his family.  I'm so sorry.

It's hard to believe that seven years have passed, especially when the pain still hurts so badly. I think of you often and try to emulate your kindness and calmness. You are missed.  I never forget. Not for one day do I ever forget.  God bless you, Doug. God bless America. David Saggio, Hopedale, Massachusetts
Just want you to know you will never be forgotten.

We all miss you. Ralph Lloyd, Hudson, New Hampshire
I did not know Doug. However I worked at Avid from 1991 to 1998 and took that same flight to LA many times. Was there during the riots in 1992. I suppose it could have been me, were I to have stayed on. Although, I do not want to pretend to exclaim that I have any portion of a measure of what his family has gone through. The loss is beyond what I can convey in words. If by chance, in some sort of way, that his family can take a grain of solace in knowing he passed in our greatest tragedy on American soil for our generation, then so be it. I have no way of comparison to their grief, and I consider him a hero.
AJ Steffenberg, York, Maine
To Barbara and the family, I am deeply sorry for your loss. Doug was a classmate of mine from Leom. High School of 1966. He will missed. We are doing a memorial wall on Nov. 25th at our 40th Class Reunion, and his photo will be displayed there also. He will be with us in thoughts and prayers. God Bless you and your family.  Shirley (Williams) Reynolds, Leominster
Barbara...my thoughts are with you probably on a daily basis I wonder how you are doing...I truly hope you and your kids are well. John Pattee, Rochester, New Hampshire
You were really an interesting person. May God bless you as we live through the fifth anniversary of your death. James Cho, Cypress, California
Dear Barbara, Michael and Jessica,

We are coming upon the 5th anniversary of this national tragedy and we are as sad today as we were when it happened.  In my mind's eye, I still see Doug passing by early that morning in the limo headed to airport - I remember seeing him the night before as he was checking the work he was doing in the front of your home.
None of you are forgotten in our hearts nor in our prayers! Lucie & Tony Consentino - Lantern Lane
To the family of Doug, I am deeply sorry for this loss. He was a great man. He was one of the finest people I had met during my tenure at Adobe Systems. Doug constantly spoke of his family. He especially liked to talk about his children. He was the most respectable human being I had met in a very long time. I remember when he stated that he wanted to take the family to the Red Sox game. I gave him my corporate tickets and told him to have a great time. He always stated how he loved to play with gadgets and bought one of the first PDA's. He showed it to me proudly. Doug also helped me in trying to find a job when I became unemployed. God took a great man. I am sure that he is watching over all of you and protecting you from where he is. My prayers are with you. Fran Barbaro Altieri, Belmont, Massachusetts
Barbara, Jess & Mike; Words cannot possibly express our feelings at this time. But please be assured that our thoughts and prayers remain with you always. Bob, Anne & Heidi ~ Bob Fearing, Methuen, Massachusetts