Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gerald Hardacre 9/11/01

I have the honor of paying tribute to Gerald Hardacre.  Gerry was 62 years old on 9/11/01.  He was a passenger on United Airlines Flight 175.  He was a retired Environmental Engineer and a resident of Carlsbad California.  Gerry helped to make San Diego a cleaner, better place to live, according to his brother Larry.  A quote from his family:   Gerry was a wonderful man who loved his family very much and had a heart of gold. He would have done anything for anyone and we know that he did whatever he could on this flight to help everyone on this plane and avoid what these monsters did. 
I have found these messages on legacy.com left to and for Gerry and his family.... he was so loved.  I'm sorry you lost him. 
This first message is my favorite: From: Alex Galicia to Gerry...I am a United airport supervisor who was meeting with 9/11 families at LAX as they transited to and from the disaster sites during the week following 9/11. Your sister handed me your memory card as I sat with her and her husband at the United First Class lounge at LAX. I had mentioned that I was an Army National Guard Officer. She suggested I take your card with me if I were deployed.
Your card wound up in my front breast pocket during Operational Noble Eagle (Airport Security) and then throughout Operation Iraqi Freedom (during my 465 day tour in Kuwait and Iraq).
I still have your memory card. I carry it in my ID card holder. I never knew you but somehow I feel a connection to you because you represent the other countless people whom I never knew but who lost their lives on that fateful day. Your memory enabled me to draw strength during my long days and nights in the Iraqi desert. In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, May you rest in peace!
My name is Larry Fickenworth..I was a supervisor in the Paint and Processing Dept.002 at Convair..Gerry saved my bacon on more than one occasion..As everyone was,i was upset by his loss..I remember his kindness and willingness to help in all matters..I will miss him...Been almost 10 years now..Hes still in my prayers and thoughts.Thank you my friend..Larry...larryfickenworth@yahoo.com And FB. Larry Fickenworth, Lakeside, California
I worked with Gerry at General Dynamics, Convair but really got to know him after the shut down through Joy Stockton-Hagin and the "ex-Cons" engineering group. He was very caring and funny, and accepted me into the group as a long lost friend. I think of him often and I know he is greatly missed by all. My thoughts are with his family, I pray for peace for them. Rick Radomski, Temecula, California
Dear Judy and Kristen,
As I place American Flags on my lawn today, remembering those that lost their lives on 9/11, I especially think of Gerry. My husband, Dave Rudderow, was a friend of Gerry's. They were "Poker buddies" for many years, along with Chuck Ollinger and Joe Corso. I lost Dave to cancer 3 years ago. He and I made it our priority every anniversary to light a candle for Gerry. Now I will continue that tradition. God bless you and your family. Becki Rudderow, Vista, California
With loving prayers and remembrance on this day...Gerry, I remember you fondly when you would come down to visit Kristen at State and take us all out to dinner. Kristen, my thoughts are with you today. Poppi Rodriguez Webb, Kansas City, Missouri
On this 6th anniversary we do our best to remember the good times. Thinking of the day we went to the San Diego Zoo while Kristen had to go to school and Judy to work - what a blast - I still remember Kristen's expression when we she left for school. My favorite memory was at our wedding and Uncle Gerry had the pre-wedding dinner party at his room. When we walked in he had the blender going and he was pouring margaritas. Judy, Kristen, Colleen and Larry you are in our prayers and we share in your grief. We love you and you are not alone. Laura & Mas Chastain, Yosemite, California
As I approach the second year, I worked for Gerry Hardacre at General Dynamics in San Diego. Gerry was a great boss and even a better man. I am grateful for the 5 years I worked for Gerry, he was a very funny man, dedicated, and cared for his employee’s who worked for him. I was heart broken when I heard he was on Flight #175. I will always remember what a fine American Gerry was, and for all those on September 11, 2001. May god bless Gerry's family and my GOD bless the USA.

No comments: