Thursday, May 19, 2011

Douglas Stone 9/11/01



I have the honor of paying tribute to Douglas Stone, he was 54 years old on 9/11/01 and was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11. He lived in Dover and was the co-owner of Odyssey Press. To know Douglas Stone was to know his distinctive brand of humor. "Cynical and dry" his son Zachary called it. "When he got going, everyone would be in tears." His business partner, Tad Parker, recalled the day that Mr. Stone, after dealing with some prickly personnel issue, sat down, looked up at the ceiling and stretched his arms out. "Can you feel the love?" he said, adding: "Human resources isn't my forte. Let's go have a toddy." From his son, their relationship "was better than a lot of father-son relationships; he was one of my best friends," said Zachary, who flew East every summer. "I worked in his printshop from the time I was tall enough to stand on a skid."Mr. Stone flew to California often, and was on hand to watch his son break two minutes in the 800-meter run — "one of the best things I got to share with him," Zachary said.

Doug sounds like he was a great guy and I know he is greatly missed. I'm sorry. Here are a few messages that have been left for him on Legacy.com... as I have said many times before, it always touches me that most of the messages left are for the person, miss you, happy birthday.... so sad.


Doug was a good man, and father, and employer. He is mourned by many, and we think of him often. We wish peace and healing to his son, family, and employees.
Kathy and Dan Fishback & friends

We Love and Miss you Doug! We will Never Forget!!!!!!!!!!
Cherye Dickson, Villa Park, California

Zach, we here at Odyssey will never forget, and think of you often. We always will love you, as he did. Claire Odyssey Press

DOUG WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!WE LOVE AND MISS YOU.YOU WOULD BE SO VERY PROUD OF YOUR SON. OUR LOVE ALWAYS,THE DICKSON FAMILY
VAUGHN DICKSON, VILLA PARK, California

Dear Doug,To quote Rumi,"Anything you love comes around in another form."You are missed.With Loving Memories, Ginny
Virginia Sasaki, Los Alamitos, California

The recent news has overwhelmed us. I hope our son, Zach, can find closure. Doug, he misses you so much. We all do.
Beth Stone, Fountain Valley, California

Doug, Zach and I attended the third Doug Stone Classic Golf Tournament in Maine on 9/11 together this year. It was such a joy to see the family again and a bittersweet day celebrating your memory. We miss you every day. Love, Beth
Beth Stone, Fountain Valley, California
February 26, 2004
Doug, It's your birthdate - I miss you I miss talking to you. You were so good to everyone and asked so little in return. Love, Sister Jane
Jane Puhn, Pittsfield, Massachusetts

recall Saturday morning, September 15th, 2001 - on that day I was at Woodbridge High in Irvine to watch my son and Edison run in the Woodbridge Invitational, one of the first XC meets of the year. I don't recall all the details of what I saw there; the school and surrounding area is a madhouse as it is every year. There are literally thousands of kids and probably a hundred or so teams present. I think a lot of parents and fans wore red, white and blue clothing; a lot of people wore remembrance-type ribbons, but for the most part, most teams wore their regular uniforms and sweats. The best place to watch the finish is the last straightaway leading to the finish chute. It is about 30 yards wide and there you can watch parents scream at the top of their lungs at the kids as they finish... At one point between races, I remember looking across that straightaway and seeing the Fountain Valley canopy and their assembled team. I do recall they were a bit more "decked out" than the other teams; many (all?) of them had on black armbands, many carried small American flags, and some of the girls had spray-painted their hair red, white and blue. Zach wasn't there - at least I don't think he was - as he'd graduated a few months earlier. The image that I remember best from that day was the end of a Boy's D1 race - I believe it was Varsity, but am not sure: Parents and bystanders were lined up probably 5-7 deep on both sides of that last straightaway, and at one point, Josh Selley from Fountain Valley came barreling around that last corner before the chute at top speed, armband on, with both arms high overhead, holding two small American flags as he finished strong into the chute. It's normal to cheer for your own child/school at the end of the race, but EVERYONE cheered loudly for Josh as he finished that race. I was touched by what I saw, but then I was really sad. I looked around at all the parents and athletes and realized that they had no way of knowing that Fountain Valley had lost a "Baron Dad" earlier that week. I hope you family is doing well and that the time has moved on quickly for them. Go Barons. Rest in Peace.
James Lynn, Huntington Beach, California

5 comments:

Terry Albert said...

All these years later, I am glad Doug is not forgotten. he was my friend, and I still think of him often

Anonymous said...

We all have our memories of 911. For inexplicable reasons, the piece of 911 that stands in my mind is the TV crew shoving a camera in the face of Zachary Stone and asking him the most stupid question imaginable: "did you love your father?"

I've never forgotten that, and I pray for Zach and Doug Stone frequently.

Kristen said...

Doug I still recall the late night breakfasts after a night of fun in Dover. You always made us laugh, you will never be forgotten. Today I pray for you & your family. RIP my friend.

Unknown said...

It has been 14 years, and I have no fear that I will ever forget the loss. My thoughts are with Doug's families — both his "at home" family and his Odyssey Press family.

Jeff Slater said...

Back in 1992 I settled in New Hampshire - not sure what direction I thought my life would take me but leaning towards teaching. My mother worked in the printing industry in Philadelphia and had contact with a printing outfit in New Hampshire. The name of the company was Odyssey Press located in Dover, New Hampshire. This was a short run press employing maybe 20 or 25 people. The company was a start up owned by Tad Parker and Doug Stone. The economy was still dealing with the Bush recession but the owners gave me a chance to work - I started making about $8 an hour on the assembly line.

For some odd reason tonight I decided to Google that old company to see if it was still in existence. It had moved from Dover to Rochester, New Hampshire but I found an article about the owner from 2002. In it he was recounting a hobby he enjoyed, growing pumpkins, when he gave a shout out to his former partner Doug Stone. Doug was killed on 9/11. He was in one of the planes that hit the World Trade Center.

This is the guy who gave me the opportunity to work (and finally get started with the life). Although I started after the new year began he gave me a Xmas bonus following Xmas even though I had not work yet a full year. When I left for student teaching he advanced me another Xmas bonus. He was a good guy. I remember meeting his son Zach when he would visit his dad in the summer.

Now 15 years later I stumble upon his death . . . and that tragic event that changed the world.

Today I am a public school teacher having logged over 20 years of service. If it wasn't for Doug and Tad's willingness to give me a start I may never have accomplished the goals I set out for my life all of those years ago.

God speed Doug - you'll never be forgotten.

Jeff Slater
Lancaster, Pennsylvania