Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Madeline Amy Sweeney 9/11/01

I have the honor of paying tribute to Madeline "Amy" Sweeney. Amy died at age 35 on American Airlines Flight 11, she was a Flight Attendant. Amy is survived by husband, Michael, as well as her brother, Billy, her father, Robert, and five sisters-in law, Patti, Cheryl, Rose, Jacqui and Terri. Family members told reporters that Amy Sweeney loved skiing, the ocean, travel and children. She was the mother of two.
Amy was able to stay calm and relay information to AA personnel. Because of this act of bravery the Madeline Amy Sweeney Award for Civilian Bravery Award was created. The award is given to: Recipients of the "Madeline Amy Sweeney Award for Civilian Bravery" must demonstrate exceptional bravery, without regard for personal safety, in an effort to save the life or lives of another or others in actual imminent danger. From what I have read of Amy Sweeney, all of those attributes apply to her on that horrible day. The annual Madeline Amy Sweeney Award for Civilian Bravery is awarded every September 11 to at least one Massachusetts resident who displayed extraordinary courage in defending or saving the lives of others. I have no doubt that her family is proud of her, as is the rest of the Country. Here are a few rememberances that both loved ones and strangers have left for Amy and her family:
April 05, 2011
I don't think I can ever fully recover from you leaving. It's the hardest thing to live with. I miss you so much aunt Amy. You are my number one hero and nothing will ever change that.
Love dillon
Dillon Todd
September 11, 2010
Thinking of you and your beautiful family today. I pray you have peace and that you are looking down on your family with love each and every day, giving them strength and comfort.
LS New Hampshire
April 09, 2010
Amy, you were a wonderful woman who, in the face of the most wicked evil, personified the highest bravery and goodness any human could muster. My grateful and eternal love to you and your family.
Ken McWilliam
Amy-You inspire us all.-Lou Chinal, New York City Fire Department
Louis Chinal,
Staten Island, New York
September 12, 2009
Although eight years have passed since that horrific day, it seems like yesterday that we heard Amy relay to American Airlines pertinent information with grace and an amazing calmness about her. The information that she provided was invaluable in assisting the airline industry to figure out that these were highjackings much sooner than may have been done. I don't know if I could have had my wits about me if I were in Amy's shoes that day. My sympathies to her family. Amy was a gem that will be sorely missed.
Michele Gottlieb,
Clermont, Florida

No comments: