Friday, May 06, 2011

Robert Hayes 9/11/01




I have the honor of paying tribute to Robert Hayes. Bob was 37 yrs old on 9/11/01. He was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11. Bob was married and had two young boys.


From Legacy.com: Robert Hayes sported a year-round tan because almost everywhere he went, he also sported his surfboard. It did not matter whether he was headed for business or pleasure.In fact, his wife, Debbie Hayes, said it was not uncommon to see him walking through Logan International Airport in Boston in a business suit with a briefcase in one hand and his black-and-white surfboard in the other."It was kind of funny to see him," she remembered.

Bob was loved by family and many friends, he was a husband, a son and a father. Here are some very touching messages that have been left for him throughout the last 10 years....

They got him Bob! May you rest in peace my friend! Paul
Paul Hebert, Sydney

Good evening Bob, It's taken most of this day for me to get here, but I am not about to let this date pass without leaving you a note.I want you to know that, nine years later (HOW is it that so much time has moved by?!?) I am still thinking about you, Debbie, and your boys, who must be getting so big now... (14 & 9, right? Unbelievable.)You have been on my mind, in my heart, and in my prayers lately, and you remain there now and in the future as well.I'll be in Amesbury for a cancer fundraising event tomorrow, so you know I will feel you close by then, as I did today. I love you and care about you and I always will. I promise to ALL of you, Bob, Debbie, Robby, and Ryan, that I WILL NEVER FORGET.God Bless You and may you all have Peace.Love you, Always, Becky Warren

Still missing you 8 years later! Did you like the blue balloon, Becky and I sent up?Love always,Liz Warren

I grew up surfing w/ Bob in the 80's when there were less than 50 surfers on the NH seacoast and everyone new each other. Bob's favorite place to surf was the North side of Boar's Head in Hampton and mine also. I could always count on Bob being there when the surf was good.Bob settled down to raise a family in the mid 90's and I didn't see Bob for quite some years. But Bob returned around 2000 surf stoked and glowing from the love of family life. Something I didn't know about at the time, but I do now. Bob was a great father,husband,and friend. Miss ya buddy. Debbie swing by the shop would love to see you and the kids. Steve O'Hara

I met bob while working at Eva-Tone. I managed the cd manufacturing department. and I instantly liked him. We ran netstal equipment. And he was very helpful in the development of our department. The last time I saw him was at Replatec in Miami. I was sitting pool side and it was windy having a drink with Paul Herbert, and here comes Robert with his surf board wanting to catch some waves on South Beach. To this day I still have his business card in my wallet. He was a great man and I miss him greatly. His friend in Florida, William Russell.

I just have to say, that Bob was one of the finest Husbands, and Fathers that there ever was! Whenever I saw Bob & Debby, they looked liked they had just been married the day before! They use to stop as they walked by my house, and always had time to chat, and let me play rough house with young Robbie. I will never forget the day, that Bob asked me to go fishing with him, and I had things that needed to be taken care of, and was unsure if I should go, and he said, "come on fishing, that stuff will still be there tomorrow"! How true it was, and how glad I listened to him, and went fishing! Bob was the Best!! Rest in Peace Dear Friend, and I hope that there are many good waves up in Heaven for you! Jim Beers

Bob I miss you. Mom misses you. The pain Deb and the boys have with your loss is at depths that only God can heal. By the way your son was in the sugar bowl this morning. He likes chocolate too. You were supposed to get old with Deb. Give me away someday. Bob I miss you. I know you are with Dad now, Grandpa & Grandma too. Your hair was to turn gray, maybe even loose some. I can only hope to be a help to Deb in the future. It will never compare to the help you have been to me. I am the only one who has had the privilege to be called your sister. Thank you for two beautiful nephews and a sister. I will see you someday, not today. These beautiful children will all be raised as gentleman. That's the only way I want all of our children to be. You have gone home, to God's home. My selfishness wants one more day, one more laugh, one more Hello. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son..." John 3:16. See you when it's my time to go home Rob. I Love You. Pam (Hayes)Caiado

4 comments:

Robert said...

Just thinking of your kindness, generosity and friendly smile... You are truly missed. Thank you for being such a good friend.

-Rob-

Anonymous said...

Bob, Just thinking about you today. I Tell everyone what a gentleman and outstanding person you always were..You come from a great family. We were friends and had many mutual friends. The Burlington Class of 1981 misses you and is thinking and praying for you and your family!

Citizen X said...

Maybe he is off enjoying the surf somewhere

Bret Cantwell said...

I was staying in Amesbury the second week of August and while taking a walk down Clarks to Main I noticed Bob's memorial and was quite moved by it and left some flowers my last day there. Living in Dallas I had no connection to 9/11 beyond watching it unfold on TV. Bob, his memorial, these stories help to personalize it for me.