Sunday, September 05, 2010

Lauren Grandcolas 9/11/01




I have the honor of paying tribute to Lauren Grandcolas. She was married and lived in California. At the time of her death at 38, she was three months pregnant with her and her husbands first child. From what I have read of her she had a loving family and she was quite an accomplished person. Lauren was a marketing expert for Good Housekeeping and was also writing a book on self-help for women, covering finance and other topics. Three weeks prior to September 11, she left her job at Good Housekeeping in order to dedicate herself to the book. Her sisters have since worked together with the publisher, Chronicle Books, to get the book published entitled You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls, was published on April 10, 2005.The book provides a guide, modeled on the Girl Scouts' merit badge system. The proceeds from the sale of the book go to the Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas Foundation, which contributes funds to a college scholarship program, and charitable organizations across the United States.


8/17/11: Updated info: To honor her spirit, Jack and Lauren's family started the Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas Foundation, a philanthropic organization that helps people attain their life goals. One of the foundation's key acts is financially supporting a state-of-the-art birthing room at Marin General Hospital in Greenbrae, Calif.

http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-flight-93-victim-honored-by-husband-s-lasting-tribute.html

Such touching memorials from both loved ones and strangers to Lauren:

I made it. I ran my first race. It was as if you were with me the entire time.
"Mold to clay and submit to iron." - Modern meditation from China
Posted by Jane Stein on 2005-12-20
Our second born child was conceived on 9/11. When we found out she was a girl we looked up the list of victims from 9/11 and chose Lauren. I was also 38 years old, the same age as Ms. Grandcolas. Just our own small personal tribute.
Posted by Hope on 2003-12-12

September 07, 2006
I worked with Lauren at Price Waterhouse and she was an angel that saved us many times in "pitches" for potential clients. Now she is a real angel and will not be forgotten. May peace be with her and everyone that this tragedy has affected. God Bless.
Tom McGovern, Pasadena, California
August 03, 2006
Jack,
It took me a long time to respond to this. I didn't want to bother you with everything that was going on at the time for you. I still don't know what to say other than I was lucky enough to be around Lauren a lot in college, since she was Carol's best bud. Nothing but good memories. I have thought of you MANY times since 9/11 ole' pal. I know you have gotten better, because you are a winner in life. I know because we went through some trials together, both with our endeavours and friendships. I am proud to say I know someone who has been as humble and respectful as you have been through your ordeal. I send many positive vibes your way, as I have since I found out. I would love to hear from you someday Jack, if you have moved on enough to say hi without any pain involved. Things have REALLY changed here. You wouldn't believe some of it. Anyways, many positive thoughts sent your way, and I miss ya man!
Your bro',
Ben
Ben Wesley, Austin, Texas
September 11, 2003
I had the pleasure of living across the hall from Lauren our freshman year at UT and even have a couple of pictures of her from those days. She was such a cutie and fun to have around. It's strange and sad to think that she is gone, but the strength and bravery she exhibited that day will always stay with me.
Christi Daniels-Braun, Fort Collins, Colorado

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you for remembering Lauren.

And thank YOU for taking the time to research and remember so many that fell that day.

Kell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kell said...

Thank you Cathy. For reading so many tributes.